Do-it-Yourself Guide on Selling to the US Market
Sales is learned by doing. It's like obtaining six-pack abs. One can be given the instructions on how to obtain a six-pack, but the hard part is executing on the instructions.
Joining our Cooperative is like hiring a personal trainer—we make the sales process much easier to learn and execute. If you'd like to try it yourself first, below you'll find our Do-it-Yourself Guide on Selling to the US Market.
- Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) - Used by salespeople to manage contacts. Examples are HubSpot and Salesforce.
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) - Software used to make calls. One example is Skype.
- Decision Maker - The person in charge of making decisions related to your product. In this case it would be the plant buyer.
- Decide who your End-customer is: are they Growers, Retailers, or both?
- Upload this list of US Growers and Retailers into your Customer Relationship Manager.
- Create a list of 50 companies in your Target Market.
- Have a salesperson use VoIP software to call the first company on the list.
- Use a script (sample script below).
- Identify the Decision Maker.
- Once you confirm interest, send your plant list and Import Permit instructions, if necessary.
- Confirm Customer Order and Send Invoice.
- Collect Payment based on Payment Terms.
- Deliver Plants.
- Go back to Step 4 and repeat.
Hello, my name is [YOURNAME]. I am calling from [YOURCOMPANY], we are an exporter of plants in Guatemala. We specialize in [PLANTNAMES]. May I speak with your Plant Buyer?
- Create an account on the USDA eFile portal
- Wait 15 minutes
- Log in
- Apply for Import Permit (587 Application)
- Guide to filling out the Application:
- Application/Permittee Contacts
- Confirm contact information
- Intended Use
- Intended Use > Plants for Planting
- Commodity Type > Plants for Propagation
- Select Articles
- Plant Part > All Plant Parts Except Seeds
- Country/Region of Origin > Thailand
- Find Article > Monstera (add all other genera in the order)
- Click "Add Articles to Application"
- Supporting Documentation
- Optional, skip.
- Certify & Submit
- Confirm accuracy.
- Click "Submit Application."
- Receive and Download Import Permit File
- Download the Labels for PPQ 587 File (Green and Yellow labels)
- Send both the Import Permit file and the Labels for PPQ 587 File